A spicy and tangy side dish. Are you up for it? Then you must definitely try this south Indian pickle or relish made of chilies, onion and tamarind. Preferably use gingerly or sesame oil which act as a preservative. Turns out to be finger-licking food. This stays good for about a month in the refrigerator, so you can make larger quantity and store it. Puli milagai is a sweet, spicy and tangy condiments goes well with curd rice and dosa. It is highly variant and one can very well adjust the sweetness and tanginess according to the spicy level of the chillies used in this recipe.
Small Onion - 2 heaped cup
Green chilies – 4 - 5
Tamarind – 1 orange size
Jaggery – 1/2 cup
Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
Salt – To taste
Oil – 3 tbsp
Water – As required
1. Soak tamarind in a cup of warm water for 15 minutes and extract juice from it. Keep it aside.
2. Finely chop onions and green chili.
3. In a Pan, heat oil. When it is hot, add mustard seeds. Allow them to splutter.
4. Add small onion, green chilies and saute till onions becomes translucent.
5. Add turmeric powder and salt and stir gently.
6. Then add tamarind juice and jaggery. mix well.
7. Cover the pan using lid and simmer the flame. Let it be till the mixture thickens. Stir in between at regular intervals.
8. Once the desired consistency is reached or till the oil separates from the gravy, remove from flame and cool down. store it in a bottle.
Serve hot for steamed rice, curd rice, idly and dosa. It can be stored in a refrigerator for a week or more if well handled.